Are you on the hunt for a meaningful name that signifies “three”? Whether it’s because you’re having triplets or simply love the number three, we’ve compiled a list of 50 unique names with beautiful meanings that could be perfect for your little one. From traditional to modern, there’s sure to be a name that catches your eye.
Who might consider a name meaning “three”?
Parents who are:
- Having triplets
- Obsessed with the number three or its significance in their culture or religion
- Wanting to honor a third generation family member
What are some meanings associated with “three” names?
Names that mean “three” often signify:
- Unity or completeness
- Spiritual significance
When is the best time to choose a “three” name?
You can choose a name meaning “three” at any point during your pregnancy or even after your baby is born. Some parents may opt for this type of name if they know they’re having triplets, while others may simply appreciate the meaning behind the name.
How to choose the right “three” name for your baby?
Consider the following when choosing a “three” name:
- The origin of the name and whether it has cultural significance for you
- The pronunciation and spelling of the name
- The sound of the name when paired with your last name
- The potential for nicknames
- The meaning and symbolism of the name
Pros and cons of choosing a “three” name
- Unique meaning and symbolism
- Potential for cultural or religious significance
- Opportunity to honor a third generation family member
- May be easier for siblings to remember each other’s names if they share a common theme
- Limited options compared to other name themes
- May be too on-the-nose for some parents
- Pronunciation or spelling may be difficult for others to understand or spell correctly
Alternative name options
If you’re not sold on using a “three” name, consider these alternative options:
- Names that mean “strong”: signify resilience and power
- Names that mean “harmony”: signify balance and unity
- Names that mean “spiritual”: signify connection to a higher power or the universe
Step-by-step guide to choosing a “three” name
- Research names that mean “three” in various languages and cultures.
- Narrow down your list to names with meanings that resonate with you.
- Consider the pronunciation and spelling of each name.
- Say each name out loud with your chosen last name to see how it sounds.
- Think about potential nicknames or variations of the name.
- Choose the name that feels right for your little one.
Comparing popular “three” names
Here are five popular options for “three” names along with their meanings:
- Tripp: This English name means “the third.”
- Tertius: This Latin name means “third.”
- Terzo: This Italian name means “third.”
- Trey: This English name means “three” or “third.”
- Tercero: This Spanish name means “third.”
Tips for using a “three” name
- Consider pairing the name with a middle name that has a different theme or meaning for balance.
- Use the name’s meaning as inspiration for nursery decor or birth announcements.
- Explain the significance of the name to family and friends who may not be familiar with its meaning.
- Embrace the uniqueness of your baby’s name and celebrate it!
The best “three” names
- Trixie: This diminutive of Beatrix means “she who brings happiness, blessed, or traveler.”
- Thora: This Scandinavian name means “thunder goddess” and is associated with strength and power.
- Trine: This Danish name means “pure” or “innocent” and has a spiritual connotation.
- Tercia: This Latin name means “third-born” and is a unique alternative to the more traditional Tertius.
- Trieste: This Italian name means “of the Adriatic Sea” and can also be interpreted as “victory.”
- Are there any other meanings associated with the number three besides unity and completeness?
- Yes, in some cultures, the number three represents balance or creativity.
- Can a “three” name work for a boy or a girl?
- Absolutely! Many of the names on this list are gender-neutral or have variations that work for both genders.
- What if I don’t want my child’s name to be too overtly themed around “three”?
- That’s perfectly fine! Consider using a name that has a subtle tie to the number three, such as a name that starts
We’re Emma Carole Paradis and Kimberly Carole, the owners and designers of Impeccable Nest, based in Bedford, New Hampshire. A mother-daughter team with a love of design. Originally from Manhattan Beach, California, now based in Bedford, New Hampshire, we bring a Southern California cool and New England tradition to our design. Not only do we work together…we also live together in a multi-generational home…and a home that they are known to design for others.