When it comes to naming a child, parents often choose a name that has a special meaning or significance. One such name is Tatum, which has gained popularity in recent years. In this article, we will explore the origin and meaning of the name Tatum.
Origins of the Name Tatum
The name Tatum is believed to have originated from England. It is an occupational surname derived from the Old English word “tāna” which means “enclosure” or “pasture.” The surname Tatum was given to someone who lived near or worked on a piece of land that was enclosed for farming.
Popularity of the Name Tatum
While it was originally used as a surname, Tatum has become increasingly popular as a first name in recent years. In fact, it ranked #414 on the list of most popular girl names in the United States in 2020, and #449 for boys.
Meaning of the Name Tatum for Girls
For girls, the name Tatum is associated with strength and independence. It is also thought to represent beauty and grace. Women named Tatum are often described as confident and assertive, with a strong sense of self.
Meaning of the Name Tatum for Boys
For boys, the name Tatum is associated with bravery and leadership. It is also thought to represent loyalty and wisdom. Men named Tatum are often described as ambitious and hardworking, with a natural ability to lead others.
Famous People Named Tatum
There are several famous people who share the name Tatum, including actors, athletes, and musicians. Some notable examples include:
- Channing Tatum: American actor known for his roles in movies like Magic Mike and 21 Jump Street.
- Tatum O’Neal: American actress who won an Academy Award for her role in Paper Moon.
- Tatum Bell: Former NFL running back who played for the Denver Broncos and Detroit Lions.
- Tatum Dagelet: Dutch actress and television presenter.
Name Variations and Similar Names
There are several variations of the name Tatum, including Tate, Taytum, and Tatem. Other similar names that share the same meaning or origin include:
- Taylor: An English surname that means “tailor.”
- Sutton: An English surname that means “southern settlement.”
- Brayden: An Irish name that means “descendant of Bradán,” which is a salmon.
Choosing the Name Tatum
If you’re considering naming your child Tatum, it’s important to consider the meaning behind the name and whether it resonates with you. You may also want to think about how the name will sound and be perceived by others. Overall, the name Tatum has a strong and positive association with traits like strength, independence, and leadership.
In conclusion, the name Tatum is an attractive and meaningful choice for parents looking to give their child a unique and memorable name. Whether you choose it for its origins as an English surname or for its modern associations with strength and independence, Tatum is a name that is sure to stand out.
- What is the origin of the name Tatum?
- The name Tatum originated from England and is an occupational surname derived from the Old English word “tāna” which means “enclosure” or “pasture.”
- Is Tatum more popular as a girl’s name or a boy’s name?
- Tatum is becoming increasingly popular as a girl’s name, but it can also be used for boys.
- What does the name Tatum mean for girls?
- For girls, the name Tatum is associated with strength, independence, beauty, and grace.
- Who are some famous people named Tatum?
- Some famous people named Tatum include Channing Tatum, Tatum O’Neal, and Tatum Bell.
- What are some similar names to Tatum?
- Similar names to Tatum include Tate, Taytum, Taylor, Sutton, Brayden, and Braden.
We’re Emma Carole Paradis and Kimberly Carole, the owners and designers of Impeccable Nest, based in Bedford, New Hampshire. A mother-daughter team with a love of design. Originally from Manhattan Beach, California, now based in Bedford, New Hampshire, we bring a Southern California cool and New England tradition to our design. Not only do we work together…we also live together in a multi-generational home…and a home that they are known to design for others.