Finding the perfect name for your baby is one of the most exciting and important decisions you can make as a new parent. A name can have a significant impact on a child’s life, and it is essential to choose one that holds special meaning or significance. One name that has been growing in popularity over the years is Morgan. In this article, we will explore the history, origin, and significance of the name Morgan.
What is the meaning of the name Morgan?
The name Morgan is of Welsh origin and means “sea-born.” It is derived from the Old Welsh word “mor” which means sea and the Old Irish word “gan” which means born. The name has traditionally been used for both boys and girls, although it is more commonly used for girls in modern times.
Who was Saint Morgan?
Saint Morgan, also known as Saint Morcan, is a Welsh saint who lived during the 6th century. He was a disciple of Saint Illtyd and founded several churches and monasteries throughout Wales. Although little is known about his life, he is still celebrated by the Welsh people today.
When did the name Morgan become popular?
The name Morgan has been in use since medieval times but became more popular in the late 19th century. It gained even more popularity in the United States during the 1980s and 1990s, thanks in part to the character Morgan le Fay from Arthurian legend and the character Morgan Matthews from the popular TV show Boy Meets World.
How to choose a middle name for Morgan?
When choosing a middle name for your child, it is essential to consider the meaning and significance of the name. Some suggested middle names for Morgan include Elizabeth, Grace, Rose, James, and Alexander. These names not only sound great with Morgan, but they also hold special meanings and connotations.
Pros and Cons of the Name Morgan
- The name Morgan is simple yet elegant, making it a great choice for parents who want a unique but not too outlandish name.
- It is a gender-neutral name that works well for both boys and girls.
- The name has a strong historical and cultural significance, as it is steeped in Welsh mythology and folklore.
- The name Morgan has become increasingly popular in recent years, leading to concerns about its uniqueness.
- It can be difficult to find personalized items such as keychains or license plates with the name Morgan on them.
- Some people may associate the name with the character Morgan le Fay, who is often portrayed as a villain in Arthurian legend.
Alternatives to the Name Morgan
If you are looking for alternative names to Morgan, here are some suggestions that have similar meanings and origins:
- Dylan (Welsh, means “son of the sea”)
- Marina (Latin, means “of the sea”)
- Kai (Hawaiian, means “sea”)
- Cordelia (Welsh, means “daughter of the sea”)
- Niamh (Irish, means “bright” or “radiant”)
Step by step guide on how to legally change your name to Morgan
If you are considering changing your name to Morgan, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do so legally:
- Choose the name you wish to be called.
- Visit your local courthouse to obtain a Petition for Name Change form.
- Complete the form with your current legal name, desired new name, and reason for the change.
- Submit the form to the courthouse along with any required fees.
- Wait for your court hearing date.
- Attend the court hearing and provide a valid reason for the name change.
- If approved, receive a certified copy of your name change order from the court.
- Update your legal documents, including your birth certificate, social security card, and driver’s license.
How does the name Morgan compare to other popular names?
According to the Social Security Administration, the name Morgan was the 117th most popular name for girls in the United States in 2020. Compared to other popular names, it is less common than Olivia, Emma, and Ava but more common than Sadie, Tessa, and Gwendolyn.
Tips for choosing a name like Morgan
- Consider the meaning and origin of the name.
- Think about how the name will sound with your last name.
- Choose a name that is easy to spell and pronounce.
- Avoid names that are too trendy or difficult to pronounce.
- Consider the potential nicknames associated with the name.
The Best Sibling Names for Morgan
If you already have a child named Morgan and are looking for sibling names that complement it, here are some suggestions:
- Gavin (Welsh, means “white hawk”)
- Reese (Welsh, means “enthusiasm”)
- Rowan (Irish, means “little redhead- Brynn (Welsh, means “hill”)
- Evan (Welsh, means “God is gracious”)
These names not only sound great with Morgan but also have Welsh origins like the name Morgan.
The name Morgan has a rich history and cultural significance, making it a popular choice for parents looking for a unique and meaningful name for their child. Whether you choose to use it for a boy or a girl, the name Morgan has a simple yet elegant sound that is sure to make a lasting impression. With careful consideration and research, you can find the perfect name for your child that holds special meaning and significance.
- Is Morgan a unisex name?
Yes, Morgan is traditionally a unisex name that is used for both boys and girls.
- What is the origin of the name Morgan?
The name Morgan is of Welsh origin and means “sea-born.”
- Who was Saint Morgan?
Saint Morgan, also known as Saint Morcan, is a Welsh saint who lived during the 6th century.
- How popular is the name Morgan?
The name Morgan has become increasingly popular in recent years and was the 117th most popular name for girls in the United States in 2020.
- What are some alternative names to Morgan?
Some alternative names to Morgan include Dylan, Marina, Kai, Cordelia, and Niamh.
I am Patricia Mann, an experienced professional in the art of naming children. With a wealth of knowledge in the field of baby names, I aim to assist parents in choosing a meaningful and beautiful name for their little ones. My expertise lies in the Name Meaning section, where I delve deep into the origins and significance of names, providing valuable insights that I hope will be beneficial for parents.
Understanding the profound impact a name can have on a child’s life, I strive to offer comprehensive guidance. The Name Meaning section is not just a repository of information but a resource where parents can discover the rich tapestry of meanings associated with different names. It is my belief that a child’s name is more than just a label; it encapsulates the desires, hopes, and love of the parents.
In this journey of baby naming, my goal is to make the process enjoyable and meaningful for parents, ensuring that the chosen name resonates with the family’s values and cultural background. I invite you to explore the Name Meaning of Impeccable Nest section as we embark on the delightful and important task of naming the newest members of your family.