The name Philip is a popular given name for males, but what does it actually mean? In this article, we will explore the meaning and origin of the name Philip.
What is the Meaning of the Name Philip?
The name Philip has roots in the Greek language, and it means “lover of horses.” This meaning comes from the Greek words “phílos,” meaning “loving” or “beloved,” and “hippos,” meaning “horse.”
Historical Significance of the Name Philip
The name Philip has been used throughout history by many notable figures, including kings and saints. Here are some of the most famous people named Philip:
- Philip II of Macedon: King of Macedon and father of Alexander the Great
- Philip III of France: King of France during the 13th century
- Saint Philip the Apostle: One of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Husband of Queen Elizabeth II of England
Variations of the Name Philip
There are several variations of the name Philip in different languages and cultures. Here are some examples:
- Felipe (Spanish)
- Philippe (French)
- Filippo (Italian)
- Filip (Croatian)
- Pilib (Irish)
Popularity of the Name Philip
The name Philip has been a popular name for boys for many years. According to the Social Security Administration’s baby name website, the name Philip was ranked #434 in popularity in the United States in 2020.
Famous People with the Name Philip
Many famous people throughout history have been named Philip. Here are some examples:
- Philip Seymour Hoffman: American actor
- Philip Glass: American composer
- Philip K. Dick: American science fiction writer
- Philip Pullman: English author of the “His Dark Materials” series
- Philip Rivers: American football quarterback
Name Philip in Literature and Entertainment
The name Philip has been featured in several works of literature and entertainment. Here are some examples:
- “Philip Marlowe”: A fictional detective created by Raymond Chandler
- “Philip Pirrip” (Pip): The protagonist of Charles Dickens’ novel “Great Expectations”
- “Prince Philip”: A character in the television series “The Crown”
In conclusion, the name Philip has a rich history and meaning. From its roots in the Greek language to its use by famous figures throughout history, the name Philip has remained popular for centuries.
We’re Emma Carole Paradis and Kimberly Carole, the owners and designers of Impeccable Nest, based in Bedford, New Hampshire. A mother-daughter team with a love of design. Originally from Manhattan Beach, California, now based in Bedford, New Hampshire, we bring a Southern California cool and New England tradition to our design. Not only do we work together…we also live together in a multi-generational home…and a home that they are known to design for others.