Houston is a name that has been around for centuries, and it continues to be a popular choice for parents looking for a unique and meaningful name for their child. In this article, we will explore the origin and meaning of the name Houston, as well as its popularity and famous bearers.
What is the Meaning of the Name Houston?
The name Houston is of Scottish origin, derived from the Old English words “hoh” (hill) and “tun” (settlement), which together means “hill settlement.” Over time, the name evolved to Houston, and it became a surname before being used as a first name.
In addition to being a surname and a first name, Houston is also the name of a city in Texas, named after Sam Houston, a hero of the Texas revolution and the first president of the Republic of Texas.
Who is Likely to Have the Name Houston?
Houston is traditionally a male name, but it can also be used for girls. It is more commonly used in the United States and Scotland, but it has also gained popularity in other parts of the world.
Parents who choose the name Houston for their child often do so because of its strong and unique meaning, as well as its association with the city of Houston, which is known for its energy, diversity, and innovation.
Pros and Cons of Choosing the Name Houston
- Unique and meaningful name with an interesting backstory
- Can be used for both boys and girls
- Has a strong association with the vibrant city of Houston
- May be difficult to pronounce or spell for some people
- Could be confused with the similar-sounding name “Austin”
- Some people may associate the name with negative connotations, such as Hurricane Harvey, which devastated Houston, Texas in 2017.
Alternatives to the Name Houston
If you like the meaning and origin of the name Houston, but it doesn’t quite feel right for your child, there are several alternatives you might consider:
- Hudson – a surname that has become a popular first name in recent years. It means “son of Hudde” or “Hugh’s son.”
- Hunter – another surname-turned-first-name, Hunter means “one who hunts” and is often associated with strength and bravery.
- Holden – a name of English origin that means “deep valley,” Holden has gained popularity in recent years, thanks in part to the character Holden Caulfield in J.D. Salinger’s novel, The Catcher in the Rye.
Famous People with the Name Houston
Houston has been a popular name throughout history, and many famous people have borne the name. Here are just a few examples:
- Sam Houston – as mentioned earlier, Sam Houston was a hero of the Texas revolution and the first president of the Republic of Texas.
- Whitney Houston – an American singer and actress who was one of the best-selling music artists of all time.
- Howard Houston – an American football coach who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1971.
- Houston Stewart Chamberlain – a British-born German author and philosopher who was a prominent supporter of Nazi ideology in the early 20th century.
How to Choose the Right Middle Name for Houston
Choosing the right middle name for your child can be a fun and exciting task, but it can also be challenging. Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect middle name for your little Houston:
- Consider family names – using a family name as a middle name can be a great way to honor a loved one and create a sense of family history and tradition.
- Think about flow – when choosing a middle name, it’s important to consider how it sounds when combined with the first and last name. Try saying the full name out loud to see how it feels.
- Consider the meaning – if you want to give your child a name with a strong meaning, consider choosing a middle name that complements the meaning of Houston. For example, you might choose a middle name that means “strong” or “brave” to complement the meaning of Houston, which means “hill settlement.”
Step-by-Step Guide to Pronouncing Houston
The pronunciation of Houston can vary depending on where you are in the world. Here is a step-by-step guide to pronouncing Houston:
- Start with the “h” sound, like you’re trying to fog up a mirror.
- Add the “yoo” sound, like the word “you.”
- Say the “st” sound, like the beginning of the word “stop.”
- Finish with the “n” sound, like the end of the word “fun.”
Put it all together and you get “HYOO-stun.”
Tips for Living with the Name Houston
For those who bear the name Houston, here are some tips for living with this unique and meaningful name:
- Embrace the meaning – be proud of your name and its strong, unique meaning. Use it as a source of inspiration and motivation.
- Correct pronunciation – be patient with others who may struggle to pronounce your name correctly. Offer gentle corrections when necessary, and don’t be afraid to use nicknames if that makes it easier for others to remember.
- Be creative – there are many fun ways to play with the name Houston, such as creating personalized logos or using it as a theme for birthday parties or events.
- Explore the city – if you have the opportunity to visit the city of Houston, take advantage of it! Learn about its history, culture, and people, and experience all that this vibrant city has to offer.
The Best Middle Names for Houston
Choosing the perfect middle name for Houston can be a challenge, but here are some ideas to get you started:
- Houston Alexander
- Houston James
- Houston Michael
- Houston William
- Houston Benjamin
- Houston Olivia
- Houston Elizabeth
- Houston Grace
- Houston Sophia
- Houston Caroline
Houston is a name with a rich and fascinating history, rooted in Scottish culture and intertwined with the story of a dynamic American city. Whether you’re considering this name for your child or simply curious about its origins and meaning, we hope this article has provided you with a deeper understanding and appreciation of the name Houston.
- Is Houston a popular name?
- While not among the most popular names in the United States, Houston has been steadily increasing in popularity in recent years.
- Can Houston be a girl’s name?
- Yes, Houston can be used as a name for both boys and girls.
- What is the origin of the name Houston?
- The name Houston is of Scottish origin, derived from the words “hoh” (hill) and “tun” (settlement), which together means “hill settlement.”
- What is the meaning of the name Houston?
- The meaning of the name Houston is “hill settlement.”
- Who is the most famous person named Houston?
- One of the most famous people named Houston is Whitney Houston, an American singer and actress who was one of the best-selling music artists of all time.
We’re Emma Carole Paradis and Kimberly Carole, the owners and designers of Impeccable Nest, based in Bedford, New Hampshire. A mother-daughter team with a love of design. Originally from Manhattan Beach, California, now based in Bedford, New Hampshire, we bring a Southern California cool and New England tradition to our design. Not only do we work together…we also live together in a multi-generational home…and a home that they are known to design for others.