Are you curious about the meaning behind the name Meera? Look no further! In this article, we’ll explore the origins and significance of Meera, its variations across different cultures, and how it has evolved over time.
What is the origin of the name Meera?
Meera is a feminine given name that originated in India. It is derived from the Sanskrit language, where it means “ocean” or “sea”. Meera was a popular name among royalty and nobility in ancient India, and it remains a common name today.
What are the cultural variations of the name Meera?
Despite its Indian roots, the name Meera has gained popularity around the world and has taken on various forms across different cultures.
In Arabic-speaking countries, Meera is often spelled as Mira and means “princess” or “queen”. This variation has become increasingly popular in recent years.
In the Hebrew language, Meera is often spelled as Meirav and means “to maximize”, “to increase”, or “to enlarge”.
In Scandinavian countries, Meera is often spelled as Mira and is a short form of the name Miranda.
How has the meaning of Meera evolved over time?
As with many names, the meaning and significance of Meera have evolved over time. Initially associated with royalty and nobility in ancient India, Meera has since become a more commonly used name for girls across various cultures.
In modern times, the name Meera has come to symbolize strength, independence, and resilience. It has also been associated with beauty, grace, and intelligence.
What famous people have the name Meera?
Many notable figures bear the name Meera, including:
- Meera Bai: A 16th-century Hindu mystic poet and devotee of Lord Krishna.
- Meera Syal: A British-Indian actress, comedian, and writer.
- Meera Chopra: An Indian film actress known for her work in Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu films.
What traits are associated with the name Meera?
People often associate certain personality traits with individuals who bear the name Meera. These characteristics may vary across different cultures and contexts.
In general, Meeras are seen as strong-willed, independent, and intelligent. They are natural leaders and confident in their abilities. Meeras are also known to be creative and artistic, with a passion for music, dance, and literature.
What is the popularity of the name Meera?
The popularity of the name Meera has increased significantly in recent years. It is currently ranked as the 2,157th most popular name for girls in the United States, according to data from the Social Security Administration.
Meera is also a common name in India, where it consistently ranks among the top 100 names for girls.
How can I choose the best middle name for Meera?
When choosing a middle name for Meera, consider the following tips:
- Pair it with a longer, more traditional name to create a balanced and elegant combination (e.g., Meera Elizabeth or Meera Catherine).
- Choose a middle name that complements the meaning or cultural origins of Meera (e.g., Meera Devi, which means “goddess” in Sanskrit).
- Consider family names or personal connections when selecting a middle name.
What are some famous quotes about the name Meera?
Here are some famous quotes about Meera:
- “Meera’s story is not just about one woman’s devotion to God, but also about the power of love.” – Amish Tripathi
- “Meera has become a symbol of love and devotion all over the world.” – Narendra Modi
- “Meera is not just a name, it’s a feeling of love and devotion.” – Unknown
The name Meera has a rich history and meaning that spans across cultures and time periods. Whether you’re considering naming your child Meera or simply curious about its origins, we hope this guide has provided valuable insights into the significance and impact of this beloved name.
- Is the name Meera popular outside of India?
Yes, the name Meera has gained popularity around the world, particularly in Arabic-speaking countries and among Indian diaspora communities.
- What does the name Meera symbolize?
The name Meera is often associated with strength, independence, resilience, beauty, grace, and intelligence.
- What are some famous people who have the name Meera?
Notable figures with the name Meera include Meera Bai, Meera Syal, and Meera Chopra.
- How can I choose a middle name for Meera?
When selecting a middle name for Meera, consider pairing it with a longer, traditional name, choosing one that complements Meera’s cultural origins, or selectinga family name or personal connection.
- What is the meaning of Meera in Sanskrit?
In Sanskrit, Meera means “ocean” or “sea”.
We’re Emma Carole Paradis and Kimberly Carole, the owners and designers of Impeccable Nest, based in Bedford, New Hampshire. A mother-daughter team with a love of design. Originally from Manhattan Beach, California, now based in Bedford, New Hampshire, we bring a Southern California cool and New England tradition to our design. Not only do we work together…we also live together in a multi-generational home…and a home that they are known to design for others.