In this article, we will explore the origins, meaning, and significance of the name Marilyn. We will also delve into the different variations of the name, its popularity over time, and some famous people who bear the name.
What is the origin of the name Marilyn?
The name Marilyn is derived from the combination of two names: Mary and Lynn. Mary is of Hebrew origin and means “bitterness” or “wished for child.” Lynn, on the other hand, has Anglo-Saxon roots and means “lake.” Therefore, Marilyn can be interpreted as “bitter lake” or “beloved lake.”
What does the name Marilyn mean?
The name Marilyn is often associated with femininity, beauty, and grace. People with this name are believed to possess a charming and charismatic personality. They are known for their elegance, creativity, and optimism.
When was Marilyn popular?
Marilyn first appeared on the US naming charts in the early 1900s but didn’t gain significant popularity until the 1920s. It reached its peak in the 1930s and 1940s, thanks in part to the Hollywood actress Marilyn Monroe, whose birth name was Norma Jeane Mortenson. The name saw a decline in usage in the 1960s but has remained moderately popular ever since.
How to use the name Marilyn?
Marilyn is a feminine given name that can be used both as a first and middle name. It is suitable for girls born in any season and can be paired with a variety of surnames. Some common nicknames for Marilyn include Mary, Lyn, Mari, and Lynn.
Pros and Cons of the name Marilyn
- Uniqueness: Although Marilyn has been a popular name in the past, it is no longer as common as it once was. This means that people with this name are likely to stand out in a crowd.
- Positive associations: Marilyn is associated with beauty, grace, and creativity, which can be an asset in various fields such as fashion, art, and entertainment.
- Mispronunciation and misspelling: Due to its unique spelling and pronunciation, Marilyn may be mispronounced or misspelled, causing frustration for the person bearing the name.
- Pop culture reference: The association with Marilyn Monroe can lead to unwanted attention or comparisons.
Alternatives to the name Marilyn
If you like the sound of the name Marilyn but are looking for something more unique, consider these alternatives:
- Marlene: A combination of Mary and Magdalene, Marlene has a similar sound to Marilyn but is less common.
- Marielle: A French variant of Mary, Marielle means “star of the sea” and is a beautiful alternative to Marilyn.
- Maren: A Scandinavian name meaning “of the sea,” Maren has a similar meaning to Marilyn but is less popular.
Step-by-step guide to naming your baby Marilyn
If you have decided to name your baby girl Marilyn, here is a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
- Research the name: Learn about the origins, meaning, and popularity of the name Marilyn to ensure it’s the right fit for your child.
- Consider middle names: Think about pairing Marilyn with a suitable middle name that complements the first name well.
- Take input from family and friends: Ask for suggestions and opinions from trusted family members or friends.
- Check the initials: Ensure that the initials of your child’s full name do not spell anything inappropriate or embarrassing.
- Say it out loud: Practice saying the name out loud to make sure it sounds good when spoken.
- Register the name: Once you’ve made a decision, register the name with the appropriate authorities.
Comparison of Marilyn to other popular names
Here is a comparison of the popularity of Marilyn to other popular names throughout history:
|Name||Popularity Ranking (US)|
Tips for choosing the perfect name for your child
- Consider the meaning and origins of the name.
- Think about nicknames and abbreviation possibilities.
- Check the initials for unintended meanings.
- Say the name out loud to test its sound and flow.
- Consider the popularity of the name.
The best famous people named Marilyn
Some famous people named Marilyn include:
- Marilyn Monroe: American actress and iconic sex symbol of the 1950s and 1960s.
- Marilyn Manson: American musician, songwriter, and actor known for his controversial music and persona.
- Marilyn vos Savant: American writer and columnist who holds the world record for the highest IQ.
In conclusion, Marilyn is a unique and charming name that has been associated with beauty andgrace throughout history. It has a rich history and remains moderately popular today, making it an excellent choice for parents looking for a timeless and elegant name for their daughter. Remember to consider the meaning, origins, and popularity of any name you are considering, as well as potential nicknames and abbreviation possibilities.
- Is Marilyn a common name?
- Marilyn is not as common as it once was but remains moderately popular. It ranked #506 in popularity in the US in 2020.
- What is the meaning of the name Mary?
- The name Mary is of Hebrew origin and means “bitterness” or “wished for child.”
- Who made the name Marilyn famous?
- The name Marilyn gained significant popularity in the 1930s and 1940s, thanks in part to the Hollywood actress Marilyn Monroe.
- Can Marilyn be used as a middle name?
- Yes, Marilyn can be used as both a first and middle name.
- Are there famous people with the name Marilyn other than Marilyn Monroe?
- Yes, some other famous people with the name Marilyn include musician Marilyn Manson and writer Marilyn vos Savant.
We’re Emma Carole Paradis and Kimberly Carole, the owners and designers of Impeccable Nest, based in Bedford, New Hampshire. A mother-daughter team with a love of design. Originally from Manhattan Beach, California, now based in Bedford, New Hampshire, we bring a Southern California cool and New England tradition to our design. Not only do we work together…we also live together in a multi-generational home…and a home that they are known to design for others.