Giles is a name of English origin that has been in use since the medieval period. The name’s popularity peaked in the 17th century, but it continues to be used today. In this article, we will delve into the meaning and significance of the name Giles.
What is the origin of the name Giles?
The name Giles is derived from the Greek name Aegidius, which means “young goat.” It was introduced to England by the Normans after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name was then anglicized as Giles and became popular during the Middle Ages.
Who is associated with the name Giles?
Saint Giles, also known as Saint Aegidius, is the most famous person associated with the name Giles. He was a hermit who lived in the 7th century and is the patron saint of beggars, lepers, and cripples.
What is the meaning of the name Giles?
The name Giles means “young goat” in Greek. In Christian tradition, the goat is often associated with sin and evil. However, in ancient times, goats represented fertility, independence, and playfulness.
When is the name Giles most popular?
The name Giles was most popular in England during the 17th century. It was also commonly used in France and Germany during this time.
How to name your child Giles?
When choosing a name for your child, you may want to consider the following factors:
- Meaning: Do you like the meaning of the name Giles (“young goat”)?
- Significance: Do you have a personal or family connection to the name Giles?
- Sound: Do you like the way the name sounds when spoken aloud?
- Popularity: Are you comfortable with the fact that the name Giles is not very common?
Pros and cons of naming your child Giles
- Unique: The name Giles is not very common, so your child will stand out from the crowd.
- Meaningful: The name Giles has a unique meaning (“young goat”), which may appeal to parents who are looking for a name with a special significance.
- Pronunciation: The name Giles can be difficult for some people to pronounce correctly.
- Spelling: The name Giles is often misspelled as “Jiles” or “Gyles.”
Alternatives to the name Giles
If you like the sound and meaning of the name Giles but don’t want to use it for your child, here are some alternative names to consider:
Step by step guide to choosing the perfect name for your child
- Consider the meaning and significance of the name.
- Think about how the name sounds when spoken aloud.
- Check the popularity of the name.
- Make a shortlist of your favorite names and share them with your partner or family members.
- Try out different combinations of first and middle names until you find the perfect match.
How does the name Giles compare to other popular names?
According to BabyCenter, the name Giles is not currently ranked in the top 1000 baby names in the United States. However, it is still a popular name in England and other parts of Europe.
Tips for choosing the best name for your child
- Do your research: Look up the meaning and history of each name on your shortlist.
- Consider the long-term implications: Will your child be happy with this name as an adult?
- Get feedback from others: Ask friends and family members for their opinions on your top choices.
- Trust your instincts: Ultimately, the decision should come down to what feels right for you and your family.
In conclusion, the name Giles has a rich history and unique meaning that may appeal to parents who are looking for a distinctive name for their child. While the name is not currently popular in the United States, it continues to be used in Europe and other parts of the world. When choosing a name for your child, it’s important to consider the meaning, significance, and sound of the name, as well as its popularity and potential for mispronunciation or misspelling.
- Is the name Giles common in the United States?
No, the name Giles is not currently ranked in the top 1000 baby names in the United States.
- What does the name Giles mean?
The name Giles means “young goat” in Greek.
- Who is Saint Giles?
Saint Giles, also known as Saint Aegidius, was a hermit who lived in the 7th century and is the patron saint of beggars, lepers, and cripples.
- Can the name Giles be spelled differently?
Yes, the name Giles is often misspelled as “Jiles” or “Gyles.”
- What are some alternative names to Giles?
Alternative names to Giles include Aegidius, Gideon, Gil, Gilbert, and Silas.
We’re Emma Carole Paradis and Kimberly Carole, the owners and designers of Impeccable Nest, based in Bedford, New Hampshire. A mother-daughter team with a love of design. Originally from Manhattan Beach, California, now based in Bedford, New Hampshire, we bring a Southern California cool and New England tradition to our design. Not only do we work together…we also live together in a multi-generational home…and a home that they are known to design for others.